The Civilian Conservation Corps was a program which provided work for unemployed and unmarried young men. The nearest camp was on top of Fort Beauregard in Harrisonburg, where tents were set up for the boys to live in.
They fought forest fires, planted trees and did some ditching for drainage work. The camps were under the management of Army officers.
The following article appeared in the July 7, 1935 edition of the Monroe Morning World: