June 14, 2013

Sharing the History


Lake St. John

I created Roots from the Bayou with the goal of capturing and sharing the history of Sicily Island, Catahoula Parish and surrounding communities.

Today, I discovered that many of my posts and photographs have been copied without my permission (or any attribution) to a Facebook page/group.  While sharing information has always been my goal, there is a right way and a wrong way to share something that belongs to others.

Many people believe that if something is on the internet there is no problem with copying without permission or attribution.  U.S. Copyright laws and more specifically, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act says otherwise.


I have asked the owner of the Facebook group to discontinue posting my articles and photographs without first gaining permission from me and adding attribution to each post.

Though it is not required by copyright law, I have chosen to add a copyright statement to my blog.  Hopefully, this will encourage others to request permission before copying my work.

Lake St. John

No comments:

Post a Comment