May 4, 2013

Shopping Saturday ~ Jack's Place


Jack's Place was established in the early to mid-1930s.  The proprietor, Jack G. McNair was the son of John Grafton McNair and Jessie Chisum.

Jack and his brother, Thomas Chisum "Son" McNair operated Jack's Place for many years.

While Jack's Place was known for its beer, wine and whiskey offerings, it was also a place where the locals gathered daily to visit and catch up on the latest happenings on the Island.

In the photograph to the left, the village constable is seen standing in front of Jack's Place back in the 1930s.





Jack and Son were cousins of mine through their mother Jessie.   My father took me along on some of his trips to visit with cousins Jack and Son.  I was too young to remember the conversations that took place but I do remember my father sitting me on the counter and buying me bags of potato chips while they visited.

Jack McNair (far left) and his brother, Thomas Chisum "Son" McNair (2nd from left)
The two photographs below are of some of the local "characters" who frequented Jack's Place in the early years.



Jack McNair passed away in 1987.  The little store later became a BBQ cafe and remains standing today.





1 comment: