March 3, 2013

Edward Farris Keenan Family

Edward Farris Keenan was born in Catahoula Parish in 1849 to the marriage of Joel Keenan and Eliza "Patsy" Farris.  On August 17, 1876 he married Terridell Lee Watson who was born on March 15, 1859.

Edward died on March 6, 1926 and Terridell died on March 26, 1898.  Both are buried in the Old Pine Hill Cemetery is Sicily Island.




Record of Death for Edward Farris Keenan:


Edward and Terridell made their home in Catahoula Parish where they had the following children:
  1. Joel Elias
  2. Lalie
  3. Eugene Seymore
  4. Maggie
  5. Charlie E.
  6. Anna Pearl
1.  Joel Elias Keenan, 1877*-1966 (m. 1. Roxanna "Roxie" Summers, 1875-1902; 2. Merzie Harmon, 1882-1957).  All are buried in the Old Pine Hill Cemetery in Sicily Island.  (Editor's note: Joel's DOB on tombstone shows 1878.  His WWI draft registration shows DOB as 1877)








 
Joel Elias Keenan's WWI Draft Registration:


Joel and Roxie settled in Catahoula Parish and had the following children:
Ethel E., 1899-1900
Norma Maydad, 1902-1999 (m. Walter William Stringer, 1895-1960)
Joel and Merzie settled in Concordia Parish and had the following children:
Raymond E., 1906-1984 (m. Edna, 1911-1991)
Samuel Edward, 1908-1958 (m. Rosa Eva Couillard, 1909-1997)
Charles R., 1912-1997
Audrey Farris, 1914-2001 (m. Dewey Hemphill, 1898-1961)
Lyda Mae, 1920-2006 (m. Gordon W. Lazarus, 1911-1979)
2.  Lalie Keenan, 1880

3.  Eugene Seymore Keenan, 1883-1893

4.  Maggie Keenan, 1887-1972 (m. Wilson Alva Squyres, 1887-1961); Both are buried in the Mt. Vernon Baptist Church Cemetery in West Monroe, Ouachita, Louisiana.  (Editor's note:  tombstone photographs are courtesy of Karen Klemm Pinckard at FindAGrave.com)



Maggie and Wilson settled in Ouachita Parish and had the following children:
Hazel Pearl, 1907
Curtis Keenan, 1915-1957 (m. Oralie C., 1915-?)
5.  Charlie E. Keenan, 1890-1894; Buried in the Old Pine Hill Cemetery in Sicily Island.


6.  Anna Pearl Keenan, 1892-1993 (m. John Friley Brooks, 1896-1942); Both are buried in Pentecost Cemetery in Jena, LaSalle, Louisiana.  (Editor's note:  tombstone photographs are courtesy of Tommye Price at FindAGrave.com)



Pearl and Friley settled in LaSalle Parish and had the following children:
John Friley, Jr., 1915
Arin Joffree, 1917
Maggie P., 1920-2005



5 comments:

  1. Hi Deb,

    Interesting blog!

    I'm related to the Keenans that stayed up north in Ohio and Pennsylvania. My 3rd great grandmother was Jane Keenan Cunningham, daughter of Robert Keenan and Jane Elliott, and granddaughter of Laurence Keenan and Mary Hales. I'm intrigued by why this line headed to Louisiana instead of staying north.

    Beth Gubbins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! Thank you for taking the time to comment. It seems that many families relocated to the south and specifically to Louisiana for the extremely fertile farm lands. I don't have any documentation that proves Joel Keenan moved south for this reason; purely speculation on my part. I'll go back through some of the local history books/collections and see if I can find more on this family.

      Delete
    2. Hi Deb!

      Yeah it was a real pleasure reading your blog. While I had Edward Keenan in my tree, I did not have his descendents, so this was incredibly helpful and I wanted to thank you for that, and for going through and trying to find more information on this family.

      Do you want to hear something strange? When I saw that Nancy Jane Albritton was an law to the Keenan side, I found more of her family connected to my Walker side on my Dad's side of the family. It's odd because my parents backgrounds are vastly different. My father's family is from Illinois and Texas, while my mother's is from Ohio and Pennsylvania. Small, small world sometimes.

      Beth

      Delete
  2. Dear Deb,

    Thank you so much for posting this I'm the 2nd great-granddaughter of Edward or Kado as my family called him. Joel is my great-grandfather and Merzie is my great-grandmother. Their son Samuel Edward is my grandfather. Rosa Eva (she went by the name Eva) is my grandmother. I never knew Samuel but I did know and Eva or grandma K as the kids called her. They had Duane Couillard he had two wifes don't know much about his first as I had never met her but his 2nd wife Maybell Cockrell I did know sadly she died in 2012 tho Duane is still alive and living just down the road from Maitland the family home. Duane and Maybell had Donald Duane who married Amanda King they have 2 kids and are living in West Monroe. Next to be born was my father Samuel St. Clair (St. Clair as he was known) he married Janice Scarf (of Swartz) and had 3 kids one being me. Sadly St. Clair died before his mother did in 1997 but me and my mom are still living in Monroe. Duane and St. Clair also had a little sister named Abbie Linda she married Donald Moore and they had 2 kids and are living in Baton Rouge. I do have more on the family if you would like to post an updated version of this. I do have to say a big thank you cuz I have been looking for Maggie or Margaret Ballard (her real name) for a while now and could never find her now I know she's buried in West Monroe thank you so much for unlocking this door for me. If you or anyone else who comes across this would like to know more or know anything about Maitland (which is still in the family) feel free to e-mail me at vbs135@msn.com. It may take me a little while to get back to back to you but I will.

    Thank you once again,
    Samantha Nicole Keenan
    Monroe, Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha,
      Thank you for commenting and sharing additional information. So glad I could be of some assistance with your research. I would be happy to update the post with any information you would like to send. I'll drop you an email shortly. As a side note, Edward Farris "Kado" Keenan was one of the witnesses to the marriage of my great-great grandparents, Joseph A. "Frank" Blackman and Virginia "Ginny" Smith. :-)

      Delete