April 21, 2014

National Register of Historic Places ~ Sargent House

Sargent House - Harrisonburg, Catahoula Parish, Louisiana (courtesy of Dorothy Stutson Tiser)
Built in the early 1800s, the house was originally called the Weinbert House and then the Disch House. The Sargent family took ownership in 1902 and since that time it has been known as the Old Sargent House.

Wooden pegs and square nails were used in the construction of the house.  High water marks can be seen on the outside walls and scars from Federal gunboat shells are reported to be scattered throughout the house.

The house was also used as a hotel for steamboat travelers.

Courtesy of Dorothy Stutson Tiser
The Sargent House was opened for tours during the Fort Beauregard Battle Festival and battle reenactments back in November of 1984.  At that time, the Catahoula News Booster reported that the house stood 'almost unchanged' from its original construction and still had the original furnishings.

Pictured above are Earline Carter and Inez Renfrow of the Harrisonburg Woman's Club.  The Woman's Club sponsored the tours of the Sargent House in November of 1984.

Courtesy of Dorothy Stutson Tiser

The Sargent House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Historic Significance:Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer:Unknown
Architectural Style:Greek Revival
Area of Significance:Architecture
Period of Significance:1875-1899
Historic Function:Domestic
Historic Sub-function:Single Dwelling
Current Function:Recreation And Culture
Current Sub-function:Museum

Sargent House - Courtesy of Dorothy Stutson Tiser

No comments:

Post a Comment