November 26, 2013

Tuesday's Tune ~ Amazing Grace


In 1779, English poet and clergyman, John Newton published a Christian hymn that would later be recorded by artists from nearly every genre.

John Newton
Among such artists were Mahalia Jackson, Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin and Johnny Cash.

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.




Almost 200 years after John Newton's hymn was published, the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards recorded an instrumental version in 1972 which featured a bagpipe soloist.  This instrumental version holds a special meaning for me as it was played at my father's graveside services upon his request.



In 2009, two hundred and thirty years after it was originally published, Celtic Woman performed their version of Newton's hymn live from Powerscourt House & Gardens in Enniskerry, County Wicklow, Ireland.  I love the imagery of the bagpipe soloist standing atop Powerscourt House at the beginning and at the very end of the video.






No comments:

Post a Comment