February 16, 2013

Everyone Deserves to be Remembered



Most of my posts include photographs of tombstones.  This not only helps to confirm dates of birth and death (though some contradictions with official documents do occur), it also serves to aid other researchers attempting to connect parents, siblings, spouses and children.  The location of burial is another important aid as it usually provides clues to residency.

If you are one of many who enjoy researching your ancestors, you learn to appreciate every possible clue.  Especially when you hit the inevitable "brick wall" that happens to all of us at some point in our research.  Tombstone photographs and cemetery information found at sites like FindAGrave.com are invaluable sources of information.

As a member of the FindAGrave community, I volunteer to fulfill requests for tombstone photographs in my area.  I have yet to visit a cemetery and walk away with only having photographed the requested tombstone.

Why?  Because everyone deserves to be remembered.

A few years back, I discovered several handwritten record books stored in an old shack located near my family home place.  These books contained birth records from 1922-1941 and death records from 1918-1941.  Over 600 records have been scanned and some have been included in a few of my posts. 

Because everyone deserves to be remembered, I plan to feature other records in a series of posts entitled, "Who was (name)?"  If you recognize a family member and would like a copy of the record, please leave a comment below the post or email me at rootsfromthebayou@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment