September 3, 2013

Tuesday's Tune ~ When I Get Where I'm Going

Losing a family member is one of the most difficult experiences we will ever face.  Whether it be a spouse, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, great grandparent, uncle or aunt, the loss of someone who has been an important part of our lives is heartbreaking.

Henrietta D. Smith, 1836-1917

I often experience feelings of loss when I think about my ancestors.  Its not the same feelings of loss as I mentioned above.  But its still a loss.

A loss of never knowing who they really were and how they lived their day to day lives.  Never having the opportunity to sit in rocking chairs on their front porches while listening to them tell their stories.

Unable to ask them questions, join in their laughter, share their tears.  Never having the chance to hug their necks and tell them I love them. 


When researching our family histories, we gather information, documents and photographs of those who lived and died before we were born.

A small number of researchers are extremely fortunate to have a relative or friend still living who can relay firsthand (or secondhand) information.  Other researchers are given the gifts of letters, journals and maybe even recordings left behind by family members.

These conversations and gifts allow us to catch glimpses into the lives of our ancestors. 

I love to catch the glimpses!  However, these glimpses usually prompt more questions.  Some of my questions are answered by digging deeper into records research or collaborating with other family members and researchers.  Others?  Well, those answers will have to wait until I get where I'm going.

"When I Get Where I'm Going" was written by George Teren and Rivers Rutherford.  It was recorded by country music singer, Brad Paisley, and released in October of 2005.



Lyrics:
When I get where I'm going
On the far side of the sky
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly

I'm gonna land beside a lion
And run my fingers through his mane
Or I might find out what it's like 
To ride of drop of rain

Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
I will shed the sins and struggles
I have carried all these years
And I'll leave my heart wide open 
I will love and have no fear
Yeah when I get where I'm going
Don't cry for me down here

I'm gonna walk with my granddaddy
And he'll match me step for step
And I'll tell him how I missed him
Every minute since he left
Then I'll hug his neck

So much pain and so much darkness
In this world we stumble through
All these questions I can't answer
So much work to do

But when I get where I'm going
And I see my maker's face
I'll stand forever in the light
Of his amazing grace
Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
Hallelujah
I will love and have no fear
When I get where I'm going
Yeah when I get where I' going


No comments:

Post a Comment